Could you pass a Minnesota citizenship test?
Take the quiz below and see what you know about our state!
- What is our state motto?
- Who is our current governor?
- Which political party has the majority in the Minnesota House of Representatives? Which party has the majority in the Minnesota Senate?
- Roughly, how much is the state’s 2015-2016 general fund budget? Bonus: Roughly, how much will the State spend in the 2015-2016 “all-funds” budget?
- Which of these rights is guaranteed by the Minnesota Constitution but not by the U.S. Constitution? No debtor’s prison, private property can’t be taken for public use, no standing army in peacetime, no ex post facto law.
- What two Minnesotans served as U.S. Vice President?
- Name one of Minnesota’s 17 Fortune 500 companies.
- Who is Minnesota’s largest employer?
- Minnesota is the top producer of several commodities. Name one. Bonus: What percent of our population is employed in the business of farming?
- Who robbed the First National Bank of Northfield, Minnesota, on September 7, 1876?
- What caused hundreds of Minnesotans to starve from 1873-1877, an event made famous, in part, by Laura Ingalls Wilder?
- What famous actress was born Frances Gumm in Grand Rapids, Minnesota?
- L’Etoile du Nord.
- Mark Dayton.
- Republican, Democrat.
- $40 billion. Bonus: $71 billion. https://www.mn.gov/mmb/budget/state-budget-overview/faq/
- All of them and more. https://storify.com/ThomasDonaghue/getting-started
- Hubert Humphrey and Walter Mondale.
- Mayo Clinic. But if you count employees of the U of M, it’s the State of Minnesota by far, which otherwise ranks second with the federal government third. https://mn.gov/deed/business/locating-minnesota/companies-employers/top-employers.jsp
- Sweet corn, sugar beets, green peas, turkeys. http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/minnesota/mn-is-number-one/ Bonus: 1%
- Jesse James
- Grasshoppers. In On the Banks of Plum Creek.
- Judy Garland